Thursday, January 06, 2005

Funeral

Never one to disapoint with my chirpy optimism, I thought that funerals would be a nice topic for the day.

I've just got back from one which has got me thinking about what I would like mine to be like. First off, I'd definitely like to be cremated and have my ashes scattered by the crematorium themselves. I don't want a plaque, urn or silly scattering ceremony. I just want a funeral and for it to then be over. I think that having a grave to visit puts too much pressure on the family, and the thought of someone vandalising it is just too horrific to contemplate. I also think it's important to remember someone through the places where they've been rather than focusing all your grief onto one place.

As for the funeral itself, I'm not too bothered. As long as it's kept secular and isn't too miserable, that's fine by me. I like it when people use funerals as a celebration of someone's life rather than mourning their death. I'd like people to wear bright colours and have a proper knees-up at the wake. I'm a bit gutted that I'll have to miss it really.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And now one of megan's friends will do a reading: "D, I, S, C, O, she is D, I, S, C, O....." celine/x