Monday, December 27, 2004

Loft

So... I'm staying at my parents for Christmas and we cleared out the loft today. I always find throwing stuff away really difficult. If it wasn't for my bullying mother I'd probably be living like one of those people on Life of Grime with the hallways stacked up with catfood tins and old newspapers. I bid a tearful goodbye to the following things:
Long may they rest in peace...

1) Boglin. I loved my boglin when I was a kid. For anyone who didn't have one, it's a glove puppet made of rubber with horns, creepy movable eyes and a lot of warts. It's only now that I realise just how sinister it must have looked to see a ten year old girl playing with one of those things.

2) Half my panda collection. Throughout my childhood I collected all things panda-related. Today it was a fond farewell to my panda rucksack, panda slipper (yes, singular - I'm not sure where the other one went), panda jumper (surely that was trendy once, surely) and several daft-looking cuddly toys with crossed eyes. You may have noticed that I said I got rid of half my collection. The other half has been sneaked back into the loft until I've summoned up enough emotional strength to go cold turkey.

3) My recorder. I spent many a happy hour in my youth playing with the style and finesse of any young recorder-player.

4) My toy soldiers - the little green ones that were on Toy Story. My poor, brave boys...

I'm going to have a lie down now. It's been a very stressful day.


1 comment:

Pepps said...

Did you really throw all that stuff away?
Why?

Hoarding's the only thing to do in such circumstances. Hoard and forget...until you can't even find a spoon for the clutter.