Monday, February 14, 2005

Ma Vie En Rose

This is a French film that we watched on Saturday. It's about a little boy in France who wants to be a girl and stars the cutest kid in the whole world.

It kind of raised some questions though. Obviously, if I had a child who was transgender / transvestite (or gay for that matter), I wouldn't have a problem. The difficulty comes when that child is still really young. In the film, a 7 year old boy wants to wear dresses and make-up when he goes to parties. I'm not sure the best way to handle that. Is it best to allow your child to wear what they want? Or is it better to protect them from bigotry at such a young age and let them be what they want once they're older?

It would be really tough on a child to prevent them from living life in the gender role they feel most comfortable. I think of myself as quite a girly person, and I can't think anything more scary than if I'd been born a boy and had to wait until adulthood to sort it out.

And what if your sense of gender identity (and sexuality) isn't a fixed thing and it's a phase? I'll never forget a lecture I went to once in my student days where the lecturer spoke about sexuality as a behaviour and not an identity. I know so many people who went through a gay or straight phase in their teenage years, only to change in adulthood, so that theory seemed to make a lot of sense.

Maybe I should wait until I actually have children before I ponder stuff like this. I'm sure I'll have a lot more things to worry about!

9 comments:

I'm Over The Moon said...

I have a theory that wanting to have children is a phase that people would grow out of if they resisted the urge to have them in the first place... just a thought. you're not pregnant are you?

Pepps said...

I reckon if you stay well clear of any form of birth-giving, you'll reduce the likelihood of ever having to deal with such problems. Be a good friend to your mates, and a good aunt to their kids...then feck off home at the end of the day and wash your hands of it all...the screaming little good-for-nothings...

meg said...

There's an unhealthy wave of pessimism around here somewhere, I just can't quite put my finger on it. And no, I'm not pregnant. At least I hope not. Oh dear.

Anonymous said...

see Pepps, we're gonna get on fine! how do i put a picture on my thing?

meg said...

Stop being anonymous! You're scaring me!

Pepps said...

?????

We're gonna to get on fine??
Well that's a relief!

Meg did I see you in Boots at lunchtime??

I'm Over The Moon said...

Meg i dont know who th efuck posted that last comment, but it sure as hell wasn't me!

meg said...

Hmm. Random.

meg said...

... but a nice change of scenery for someone else to comment on my blog though!! Some good points there aswell. Not like Pepps' blethering...