Thursday, February 17, 2005

Back the Bid

My trip through Stratford was a bit more exciting today due to the International Olympic Committee visiting to check us out for the 2012 Olympics.

The temporary ice-rink which appeared last week was buzzing with activity, the 'Welcome to Newham' sign was being re-painted and a blue carpet (blue?) eased us into the station. There were new pot plants and stalls giving away freebies. I signed up to back the bid and am now the proud owner of a 'London 2012' pen, badge and frisbee (already tested out in the corrdior with one of my esteemed colleagues).

Despite my typically English pessimism when it comes to these things, I really hope we get it. I love events where we all club together in that wartime spirit, eating jellied eels and singing 'Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner'. I'd have loved the second world war. (That comment may be somewhat politically incorrect, but my Grandma spent the war working as a bus conductor on London buses and said it was the best time of her life.)

I think that London (and Britain for that matter) could do with a bit of a boost. It would be great if we could put aside our self-deprecating stance for once and actually feel proud of something we've achieved. You'll find me in Stratford later today wearing a pinny and curlers, singing music hall songs and digging for victory.

1 comment:

I'm Over The Moon said...

I am moving out of the area that will get extra council tax to pay for it, so honey you have all the games you like. i got a free frisbee with Vanish Oxy Pink stuff once. Predictably i have no idea where it is now.