Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Goodbye Mulder...

Having spent most of my life being an obsessive sort of person (as in, the sort who would stand outside the Michael Jackson trial with banners saying 'Michael, we love you', not the sort who constantly wash their hands) I seem to currently be in an obsessive rut.

I've never been one to do things by halves - other small children may like pandas, but my childhood bedroom was covered with toys, posters, books, old birthday cards, slippers and rucksacks all with familiar black and white faces.

Over the years I've had several different obsessions (including, I'm ashamed to say, a brief flirtation with El Jacko himself, although fortunately I was too young to actually go to a concert or anything).

My most recent obsession was with The X-Files. I've never been much of a science fiction fan, seeing them all as that guy in the comic book store in the Simpsons, so it was a bit of a clandestine affair to begin with. But soon, the adventures of Agents Fox William Mulder and Dana Katherine Scully had begun to take hold of my life.

I am proud to say that I was faithful to the end, enjoying the escapades of Agents Doggett and Reyes just as much as I did Mulder and Scully in their glory years. And it was satisfying to see that Mulder and Scully did eventually get it on.

But now... I've hit a bit of a dead end. The power of those post-modern plotlines and aliens called Lord Kinbote no longer seem quite so compelling. I'm obviously entering a new era.

It's quite exciting to wonder what that era could be (because, knowing me, there will be one). It could be anything. I could take up knitting cardigans. Or sailing. Or taxidermy. Anything. But for now, I'm quite happy to sit back and wait for my new obsession to come to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been pondering this issue and your best option is to become obsesed with a real person. Stalk them if you will.
And then it came to me. You are now obsesssed with Simon. You know his birthday, all his habits and favourite things and you follow him to his home him every day! Nutter!

meg said...

Why thank you Loosee. Great to see you on board. Time for a blog of your own methinks. You could scan in your pictures, Dave and his mate do (see the link to Dave's blog).