Tuesday, September 05, 2006

They bloody well don't have the answer

Has anyone eaten Smarties recently? Like, reeeeally recently? I had some last night and it was like all my childhood dreams had been smashed. They've taken out artifical colours. The bastards have taken out artifical colours. Gone are the day-glo pretty colours that you can arrange into rows (or is it just me who does that?). Gone are the blue ones altogether.

Smarties are now an assortment of muddy colours that look like those jam jars of water that we used to wash our paintbrushes in at school. There's even a white one. A white smartie. As we all know, white smarties should only exist when they've been out in the sun for too long and the colour has sweated off. They should not occur naturally in the tube.

And speaking of the tube, where have the old-fasioned circular tubes with the plastic lettered top gone? How am I ever meant to make up my name using smartie lids? The tubes are now entirely made from cardboard and are hexagonal. Hexagonal, I tell you!

They don't even taste the same - they left me feeling sick (both metaphorically and literally).

If I buy a tube of Smarties, I want a lovely blend of sugar and fat with pretty colours. I don't want some bloody hippy sweets that look like they should be sold at a stall at a festival.

Gutted.

12 comments:

Shizue said...

You've read my blog haven't you? I tell you, sweeties are going down the pan. Its true, the Confectionery Kings of yesteryear are now the by-blow wierdy second cousins that no one wants to know.

Apparently sweets are now EVIL in this day and age. For goodness sake, if we want something healthy we can eat an apple. I NEED those E-numbers and sugar-overload to keep me going through the day.

meg said...

Let's hope it's a phase and they'll bring them back once the middle classes have stopped fussing about e-numbers, genetically modified vegetables and Happy Meals.

Anonymous said...

I was hoping it was just me getting a skanky pack from a dodgey newsagents here in Birmingham. Alas the natural colours and flavourings have made it to London all is lost.

Shizue said...

Jenny?!? As in Jenny M from WCHS? Hello!!! How are you? What are you doing in Birmingham, I thought you were in Cambridge - or was it Oxford?

Anonymous said...

hello!

Yes, Jenny from WCHS. I've been in Birmingham for a year doing a masters in immunology. Hopefully starting a phd next month. Or the month after :) So I'll be here *forever* but I might eventually be a doctor, hurrah!

Jenny
(jennymatgmaildotcom)

Shizue said...

cool. will add your email addy to the list. :)

Pepps said...

I haven't seen any Tuty Fruity sweets for years either, or iced gems...

David said...

You're just not looking, Pepps. try harder or I will be forced to send you some.

Anonymous said...

Apropo of smartie colours - mysteriously smartie bars have old style (i.e. highly artificial) colours in the mini smarties therin!

Pepps said...

Oh send us some Tuti Fruity Dave - I'll text you my address just as soon as you text me with another amusing jape for Friday Funday!

David said...

Now. "Old English Flavoured Spangles". Need I say more?

I'm Over The Moon said...

Ladies and gentlemen, it being just a short walk from the glamourous location i work in, i bring to you all:
www.cybercandy.co.uk

Where from you can purchase retro sweeties, international sweeties, and for the deeply ill of judgement (eg my husband and father eat them) altoids that smell like deep heat. i personally recommend Altoids raspberry sours and japenese lychee gummies.