Thursday, February 02, 2006

Slutbunwalla

It's suddenly dawned on me. Getting married means changing my name.

Well, obviously I don't have to change my name. He could take my name. I could (spit) double barrel it. Or we could make up a whole new name that grows organically from our love for one another. Like Slutbunwalla.

But I have, on reflexion, decided to take his. I tell everyone that it's because I want to show that his family are important to me. It's a really big gesture to make to someone you love. Of course, those of you who know what my current surname is will appreciate that having a name which is cockney rhyming slang for cunt is enough reason in itself.

My name will suddenly multiply from three syllables to five. I'll have to create a new signature. Last time I did that I was eleven and it involved the 'n' metamorphosing into a small animal. I'll have to say another name when I answer the phone. And, worst of all, my new name makes me sound about sixty years old.

Marriage I can cope with. A new name... I'm not so sure.

3 comments:

Shizue said...

Still think you should have held out for the elusive Mr Mog

becca said...

Good that you figured this out pre-wedding, rather than still struggling with the whole frickin' name thing more than 6 months later.
(Dec. 30, 2005 post).

I'm Over The Moon said...

I never knew that about the rhyming slang!
Speaking from experience it's great having a new name.
1)You get a nice warm, smug, "I'm married" feeling every time you pay for the groceries or write a check
2)You get to use Mrs, which you can't really do with your old surname, as you then become your mum.
3)Chipper cockney tradesmen can call you Mrs.B (change letter as appropriate).
4)You get to re-invent yourself, make up a new signature so you don't have the rubbish one you got stuck with when you wrote it on the back of your first debit card, and if you end up in contact with someone you used to know but never liked in the course of your work, you can pretend you're not you as long as they never see you.
5)In my case, you are liberated from the possibility that the person you're talking to will realise the teacher that scared the life out of them at Snaresbrook Primary School and traumatised them for life was your mum. Happens waaaay more often than you'd think...
6)In my mum's case taking my dad's name meant she is now Ann Ex-Parrott.