Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Smarter, faster, easier

I appreciate that people have a right to go on strike. I think it's important that they do. But, (sigh), I wish they'd pick their battles carefully. An annual strike about one big issue is far more effective than several smaller ones.

I did my preparation for the tube strike yesterday. I got an early night and left at seven that morning. I was clad in trainers and lots of layers. I was properly equiped with an A-Z, tube map, water and food.

I only spent two hours travelling which is a pretty good record as far as tube strikes go. The trouble is that I never got more than about a mile from my house, and after two hours of travelling ended up back where I started.

I was not amused. And was even less amused when I phoned work to hear that everyone else had perfect journeys to work, complete with chocolate fountains and naked dancing girls.

3 comments:

I'm Over The Moon said...

Oh sweetie! Can i suggest the following strategy for next time: BOOK THE DAY OFF.

Katrina said...

For once I actually feel smug that I now live in South East London where we don't have the tube but have overground trains instead which are clearly not 'smarter, faster easier' because they have ostracised themselves from the world of Oyster cards. Not that I get the train to work anyway - I get the bus. Now, does anyone remember bus drivers going on strike?

I'm Over The Moon said...

Officially, no. If you mean not actually doing their jobs I can verify that about 80% of 134 drivers are in a state of permastrike. One was driving the bus i was on the other day one handed with one foot on the dashboard. Now I'm not a driver, but aren't there, like, three pedels you have to use? And aren't you meant to indicate when turning a few tons of vehicle? And the manners! I ask you! Oh hang on, I've dropped my knitting...