Friday, July 01, 2005

Karma Army

Over the weekend I bought a book called 500 Random Acts of Kindess (or something). I liked it so much that I had a look at the Join Me webpage. This is what they had to say:

"Now, one of the first things you have to consider when starting something like Join Me is whether to use your powers for Good, or for Evil.

Here at Join Me HQ the choice was simple.

We would use our powers for Good.

You, the joinee, are encouraged to undertake Random Acts of Kindness on a day-to-day basis... maybe it’s paying for the cup of tea that the person in the queue in front of you has just ordered... maybe it’s offering to carry an old woman’s shopping (and not legging it)... maybe it’s as simple as holding a door open for someone.

Join Me has always encouraged joinees to Make An Old Man Happy. But why should we stop there?

Whatever it is you decide to do, it has to be random, unexpected, and... well... kind."

I love the idea of doing Random Acts of Kindness. Some of them mentioned in the book ("change seats on the tube so friends can sit together") I do anyway, but some ("give someone in the street a random award" with a photo of a man holding a 'Best Hat' award) are just plain daft.

I think if I have a mid-life (okay, mid-twenties) crisis, I might start doing Random Acts of Kindness on a daily basis.

3 comments:

Katrina said...

Would these make up for all our random acts of rudeness that travelling on London Blunderground induces?

David said...

I prefer my regular tactic of performing 500 acts of randomness during any given day.

I'm Over The Moon said...

Myself i combine the two and commit random acts of utterly undeserved forgiveness when on the tube.