Monday, July 25, 2005

Enough already!

Since July 7th, my life has become saturated with thoughts about suicide bombers. Every time I get on the tube, I at least consider the possibility that the people around me will be either my executioner or my buddy during an escape down a darkened tunnel.

I'm spending quite a lot of time working down at the temporary mortuary set up for the victims of the bombing. This means that, even when I'm at work, it's on my mind, and the fact that the office has News 24 on ALL THE BLOODY TIME doesn't help.

So, I've had enough. If it happens, it happens. Until then I'm going to get on with doing things exactly as before and not get hysterical every time there's a security alert.

With this in mind, I went and did something completely random and unrelated on Saturday. I bought a wedding dress.

I clomped into the shop with my short hair and trainers, not convinced that white was for me. An hour later, I was pirouetting about the room wearing a series of white dresses and even (deep breath) a tiara, while my mum and sisters oohed and ahhhed and took pictures. It was all quite traumatic but strangely fulfilling. Cinderella, you shall go to the ball.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pictures! I demand pictures! (of you in the wedding dresses obviously).

Please?

Katrina said...

oooh the excitement!!! Not so much at the dresses, but just at the fact that you're getting married!!!

By the way, if white hadn't been for you, what colour would you have gone for instead? I vaguely remember thinking about having a purple wedding dress once - must've been during my pseudo goth stage!!!

meg said...

I would probably have gone for either pink or maybe green. I don't know. I would have just wondered round shops until I saw something I liked.

And as for pictures... they're all locked away on my sister's phone. Thank god.

Shizue said...

oh my god, oh my god, OH MY GOD!!!

I WANT TO SEE, I WANT TO SEE!!!!

Um, what are the shoes like?

meg said...

No accessories as of yet. I'll buy them later. How about if I wear my DMs but paint them with Tipp-Ex? That'll be tasteful.

David said...

(sigh...)

I'm Over The Moon said...

oh you all laugh, but i had a navy blue dress and black twenty hole (albeit elegant) leather boots! Sandra Bullock just recently had vintage cowboy boots with her dress. I have some white cowboy botts, if you're a size 6-7 they can be your something borrowed if you like! (I joke, I kid, I kid). Anyway, colour wise there's accessories and (if the style permits) even a cloak or beautiful parasol (so practical in rainy blighty).
And they're right PICTURES PICTURES! Does the dress company have a website we can look at it on?
And shut up david...

meg said...

David's just jealous. Don't mind him.

I bought the dress from Berketex, but I've got a feeling that they don't have many pictures.

Anywho, it's meant to be a surprise. I don't want 'im indoors seeing pictures of it.

I'm Over The Moon said...

oh yeah berketex, they wont have a website! rough description so i can waste time guessing which one it is and emailing you links so you can tell me if i'm right! I wont tell, honest! where i come from we don't volunteer information to the polis!