Friday, July 29, 2005

If you are wise, you'll listen to me

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is in the cinemas today. I'm filled with a warm glow just thinking about it.

I love the film with Gene Wilder, and Johnny Depp is one of the few actors I trust to do an equally good job. I'm hoping this new film will combine exactly the right amount of saccharine and creepiness to make it work as well as the first.

It's inspired me to re-read the book. I'm a huge Roald Dahl fan (and a fan of children's literature in general). When I was little, I wanted nothing more than to meet the BFG, move objects with my mind, defeat a coven of witches, and hopefully die peacefully of the dreaded shrinks.

There's something so special about a really great children's author. 'Not Now, Bernard' still makes me nod sagely, and the last page of 'I am David' still makes me sob. Recently I read 'Vicky Angel' by Jacqueline Wilson and it's great to see that new writers are continuing where others left off. I hope I never reach a stage in my life when I don't feel like a five year old being tickled at the sight of the last page of 'When the tiger came to tea', where the tiger's saying "goodbyeeee" and the word curls round the page like a snake.

11 comments:

I'm Over The Moon said...

Is 'I am David' the one where the little boy runs away and sits up a hill looking at london? was it primrose hill? cos funnily enough i was thinking about that book the other day and couldn't remeber what it was called.
What were you in fantastic mr fox? Fiona was Mr Fox and i was Mrs Fox, were you a badger or something?
Here's one that'll cheer you up: They're making a movie of the very hungry caterpillar!
I still can't listen to my Dotrice family/mhendleson peter pan cos it makes me cry...

meg said...

I'm afraid not. 'I am David' is set in Eastern Europe and is about a little boy who escapes from a prison camp. So.. a laugh a minute, obviously.

I wasn't in Fantastic Mr Fox. I was in the class above you to begin with so I missed out on those delights.

I'm Over The Moon said...

Oooooh, hark at her! Were you in that bizarre attempt at Aristophanes Vernon dreamed up? Something to do with spies and eels...?

Shizue said...

Aristophanes?!? Good grief! Just say it wasn't The Clouds. You know, the one where udders-woman (forgotten her name) made me read out the part of the paedophilic pedant. Weren't you a small boy in that one meg?

meg said...

It was Dikiapolis. Although probably not spelt like that. I sold eels.

I miss drama classes. I feel a sudden urge to wear an Empire-line dress and a bonnet.

I'm Over The Moon said...

udders-woman? do i even want an explanation? Sympathy if you had to pretend to paed on meg!
Dikiopolis, although translitertation wise you'll find variations. That's not the name of the play though, i think it was arkarnians or summat... now if we'd one frogs, that might have worked. braka co-ax co-ax- co-ax...

Katrina said...

Do I assume Becky you are referring to Miss/Mrs Smith?? To correct any misunderstanding, this woman did not resemble a cow's udder, but her sketches of Ancient Greece did - as I chose to remind the entire school in the leaving speech I wrote!!!!!!!! Oh why oh why?!!!!!

I'm Over The Moon said...

My Greek teacher played william shatner records at my greek class until i cried, then when he left he palyed them at the whole sixth form and told everyone they were my favourite. Now i'm big i'm trying to hunt him down so i can duff him up for it.

Shizue said...

you mean you don't think his version of 'Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds' is a classic? (I'm joking, I'm joking, don't hit me).

Teachers can be cruel. Mrs Smith (udders-woman) used to play the accordian in folk-group. We had to listen to her do 'Summer is i'cummin in' at the Summer Concert every year.

I'm Over The Moon said...

I wish i could play the accordian. kistining to cajun music has obviously done me no good at all.

Anonymous said...

This blogstuff is great just looking around yours I have one too cheap wedding invitation website dedicated to cheap wedding invitation