Saturday, August 20, 2005

Super

For the boyfriend's birthday yesterday I bought him a Sonic the Hedgehog collection for the Playstation 2 (yes, you heard that right). I spent a day watching him play it, in awe of how much he could remember, before I decided to dust off my gameboy and play a game of Super Mario Land.

It is extremely creepy to think that I haven't played it in about ten years, yet I still remember when to randomly jump in the air to find a hidden block, when to bother going down a chimney and when not to, and how to out-manoevre a baddy.

Playing it was better than any time machine and, when I eventually looked up from the game I was shocked not to find myself in my parents' house with Dad watching football on the telly and a Hexagone French textbook on the dining table begging me to do my homework.

Random memories, such as the wrapping paper I covered my maths book with, or how uncomfortable it is to wear a school kilt, are now swimming round my brain.

I think it's time to put the Gameboy away again. It's been far too emotional.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Last night my housemate had a couple of friends staying cos it's her birthday. Much wine was drunk and much cheesy music was played. Among others, we were listening to Kylie's greatest hits, and we all found it scary that we could remember every single word of 'I should be so lucky' without any hesitation. And I once saw my gran sing along to a song she hadn't heard since the 30s and she still knew it word perfect. I think there must be a special part of our brains for this stuff.

David said...

Hey, you got Blogspammed! Well done! Anyway, about this school kilt...

I'm Over The Moon said...

Under no circumstances bring up the subject of school kilts. look what they made us wear:
http://uk.msnusers.com/Sincerelyboredoflondon/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=1

meg said...

Erm... I didn't go to school with you... But those are some very groovy kilts indeed.

Ours were navy and had a dodgy pocket on the inside for dinner money. And we had to wear it with white socks. Not tan tights. Not black socks. And never, EVER, blue socks. Because, if girls were naughty on the bus, the old ladies could look at their legs and tell which school they were from. "Trinity girls have blue legs and Woodford girls have white legs". And don't you forget it!

I'm Over The Moon said...

And Bancroft's girls have scars and prescription medication habits...